Thursday, December 4, 2008

Healthy Hypocrite?

Ok, I have a confession...I wear leather.
But I don't eat meat...or cheese...or yogurt...but I DO occasionally buy a "new" piece of clothing or shoes that are leather or animal based. Why?
Because they're used. Someone already bought it new, decided they didn't want it anymore, and then I buy it for next-to-nothing.
I have leather hiking boots that I bought second hand at REI in Oregon 10 years ago and they're still amazing!
(if you're from the Great North West, you've heard the rumors of the yearly members-only sales - if you're not a member, you're crazy! Get on it! www.rei.com Not only do they sell great used outdoor gear for CHEAP, they have an incredible return policy - where do you think all that stuff at the sale comes from?)

I also have vintage leather belts, cowboy boots and motorcycle gloves (which WILL come out of the closet again some day - decided it was best to sell my hog when I got pregnant) - there are just some things that shouldn't be Pleather!

And then there are so many great used items out there for cheap - I think it's much more eco-friendly to buy a good quality, used leather item than buy a new plastic-based vegan item. So, I don't buy new leather, but used it ok by me.
I know, I could get kicked out of the Vegan/Vegetarian Club for this one!

But that's just me...

You? Comments?

2 comments:

doulaoblongata said...

Oh come on now...
I do grow weary of the "Vegan Way".
I say such unashamed,unapologetically and with communal intention.
NOT utilizing hides of animals - specifically those used for food, I'm not talkin' Mink here - would be criminal.
Peoples whose practices which are far more sustainable than any of ours here, have utilized ALL parts of the animals they eat whether hunted or raised .
Yes, used is certainly the way to go and is the way I personally go, none the less, the realization that we are PART of the "Circle of Life" - Yes I know that sounds cliche - and NOT OUTSIDE of it, would allow for appropriate choices that speak to what I have come to refer to as the "Biological Blueprint".
Take a look at the "Weston Price Foundation" information as it challenges greatly in regard to Veganism, raw food, fats etc.

ember39 said...

I understand your decision. Being new to the idea of living a more healthy and cruelty free life I find myself constantly weighing the alternatives and the emotions involved in those choices. On the one hand I totally support buying and using used items but I draw the line at the argument that not using the hides of animals that are used for food would "would be criminal." That is the argument Armani and other designers use for the use of rabbit fur in their collections. Personally, just as the idea of wearing dead fur is revolting to me so is the idea of leather. I actually don't like leather. I hate the feel and the smell of it.

When I was a child my family lived on a farm. We grew our own crops and raised our own meat. I was surrounded by the "circle of life" as a child. As an adult I choose not to be a part of that circle any longer.

You choose to utilize used leather items to delay those items going into a landfill. Doulaoblongata chooses to utilize all parts of the animal. My best friend would never dream of eliminating meat from his diet. I am trying to eliminate meat, animal by-products, and toxic chemicals from my life. It's our choice to make and quite honestly I do support both your and doulaoblongata's choices.