Monday, January 12, 2009

Another thought on smaller amounts

My last blog was about saving money and supplies, illustrated by my experiment with using less dish soap. I took that idea and tried it with everything else in my house this weekend - lotion (watered down a little in the bottle), shampoo and conditioner (same) as well as laundry detergent. All successful!
I think the manufacturers recommend a certain amount of their product per use partly so you'll use up their product faster and need to buy more...when I read how much shampoo I was "supposed" to use each time, I realized it was a sham...literally!

A WORD OF WARNING: Do NOT try this with cat food! I tried giving our cat, The Boy Named Sue, less than the package recommended for a cat his weight and I found out this didn't work for him - at 2am...when he was sitting on my chest meowing for food. Give kitty all he wants.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

Yeah, I think we are indoctrinated that the more soap we use, the better it will clean. I even find myself wanting to dump a whole bunch of Dr. Bronners into my mop bucket when it calls for a very small amount. Thank you for this challenge, Alex! I definitely want to improve in this area this week. Have a great day!

julie said...

This is definitely true of laundry soap- less is more.