Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sock-A-Thon! What to do with old socks?





My creative fires were stocked by a new book I received called Stupid Sock Creatures by John Murphy.
His designs and the creatures he creates are amazing! But my packed schedule hasn't allowed me to play with any of the ideas he offers yet.

But the idea of using old socks destined for the dust rag pile for something more interesting got under my skin and I ran with it!
I have been looking for long boy socks for L and haven't been able to find anything appropriate. Don't get me wrong, I'm not above putting him in pink argyle if it's available, and I don't think it will hurt his budding masculinity at all. But every store in town was out of long socks! All they could offer me were acrylic leg warmers and tights, which I didn't think would fly too well...and I don't like having non-natural-fiber socks on, so why would I do that to him?

A flash of inspiration! I could make my own toddler sized leg warmers by cutting up my old socks!
Now that 2-3 inch gap of skin between his socks and pants won't get chapped by the winter winds.

NEXT IDEA: CAT TOY!
I bought a new bag of catnip at the Park Slope Co-Op for $.25 - his old stuff was too old and he wasn't getting any pleasure out of year-old herbage. I took the remaining toe portion of said socks and tied the catnip into the toe for a cheap, fun cat toy!
Our cat, The Boy Named Sue, was pretty psyched!

FINAL IDEA: STYLISH CUT GLOVES!
Young hip girls around the city and Bob Cratchit from The Christmas Carol, can all be seen wearing these cute gloves with the fingers cut out - well make your own for free!
Just cut a little hole in the side of a sock for your thumb, then cut straight across the toe to let your fingers out the top - instant hipness!


Anyone else have some great sock ideas? Alex

3 comments:

musingmama said...

I take my husband ratty old socks, fill them with leftover fabric, rice or stuffing from old pillows and use them as draft blockers for the doors and windows of my old house.

Veggie said...

Great ideas!

I used to make those catnip socks for my cat when he was a kitten.

IcePrincess said...

Right now, I'm wearing my sock on my hand as an assecory. i cut off the end and used a marker to draw all over it.