Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pump up the savings on dish washing liquid


Last week I bought a new bottle of Ecover Dish Washing Liquid because it was on mega-sale and I like that the product is non-toxic. When I got it home I noticed a problem. It was a huge bottle and pretty unwieldy to manage while washing dishes with wet hands. I was using huge amounts of detergent because every time I tipped it over onto my sponge it would gush everywhere!

So, to save detergent and my patience, I fished out a little empty pump bottle from the recycling bin that had previously held an electrolyte concentrate I use in my water. Most people have some sort of reusable pump bottle in their home that would work - even an old lotion pump bottle that you rinse out is fine. I filled up the little pumper and put the huge bottle under the sink - problem solved!

I realized that I'm using much less soap than before - even from other brands of large bottles like Seventh Generation that come in smaller bottles. It looks like this one bottle of dish liquid is going to last at least a month at this rate - pretty good savings!
(pat self on back)

Your Home Eco-Nomics Instructor,
Alex

1 comment:

musingmama said...

Great idea on the pump bottle. I'm stealing the idea. Love the blog BTW